Tutor for Adults with Autism
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
£26,936 plus 8% employer pension contribution
We are looking for a Senior Tutor for our Aspirations Programme and Corporate Training Project. You will have a strong track record of working in the field of autism and will be our lead expert in this field.
You will support clients and external individuals in the workplace on the autistic spectrum. You will have a lead role in the day-to-day running of Red2Green's Aspiration Service and will also assist the Deputy CEO in developing and running our Corporate Training Project.
You will have a can-do attitude, have patience, and be able to deal with complex personalities. You will have a teaching qualification or similar.
You will also have experience of providing support to staff, and will be able to adapt dependent on whether you are working in the classroom at Red2Green or in the corporate workplace.
This is a rewarding position for a team player who is able to think on their feet and support adults with autism to develop their life skills boost their confidence, self esteem and motivation, encouraging them to make choices and promote their independence.
The deadline for applications is 26 February at 5pm, and interviews will be held on 4th and 5th March.
Red2Green helps those who are 16+ with autism or learning disabilities achieve their goals in training, education, work, friendship and fun
We offer innovative and personalised opportunities in a safe environment in our modern barn conversion in a peaceful countryside setting. We take every opportunity to get out and about, meet new people, experience different activities and generally play a part in the community
Our Options service provides day opportunities for independence, key skills and fun for people with learning disabilities, and a wide range of ability levels and support needs
Our Aspirations service teaches life skills for over 16s with autism spectrum conditions, such as Aspergers Syndrome and high functioning autism
Our Corporate Training Project works with employers, breaking down barriers and enabling employees to overcome the challenges that people with autism face in the workplace. We are able to offer advice to families and personalise the support that we give.
Job title: Senior Tutor
Reports to: Deputy Chief Executive
Salary: £26,936 FTE (pro-rata)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Based: Harvey's Barn, Park End, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge
Aspirations and Options provide educational, social and stimulatory activities for adults with learning disabilities and/or Autism. We offer a range of opportunities to help clients learn new skills, enjoy lots of different leisure activities, make new friends, gain confidence and prepare themselves for employment where possible. We also work to raise awareness of the potential of people with disabilities to make a positive and valuable contribution to society.
Aspirations teaches life skills for over 16s with Autism Spectrum Conditions. The Senior Tutor will have a strong track record of working in the field of autism and will be our lead expert in this field.
Options provides day opportunities for independence, key skills and fun for people with learning disabilities and a wide range of support needs. Activities are varied and include arts and crafts, community access, sensory cooking, music, drama, gardening, keep fit, sensory room, computing, and participating in our Community Café & Gardens.
The services run from Monday to Friday for 50 weeks of the year. Aspirations runs an educational based term-time curriculum for 38 weeks and then a holiday activities programme.
People who attend the services each have a person-centred plan and activity plan which is tailor made to individual needs and are supported to reach their own goals. Progress is measured through the Outcome Star.
The services engage with the local community and work with a wide range of agencies in order to increase opportunities available to our learners.
The main purpose of this post is to support the Deputy Chief Executive in supporting clients and external individuals in the workplace on the autistic spectrum, to;
• gain maximum benefit from meaningful activities
• integrate with their peer group and encourage social inclusion
• increase independent living skills
• reach their targets and outcomes in accordance with their Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) and annual reviews
• feel supported in the workplace in regard to their autism
Tasks and responsibilities:
Day-to-day running of the service:
• To take the lead in designing and developing activities curriculum in consultation with Tutors.
• Assist the Deputy CEO to ensure that Red2Green policies are adhered to including health and safety policies to help ensure the project is a safe place to work.
• Working with the Deputy CEO ensure the strategic plan and annual targets are shared with the staff team.
• To arrange taster days for new clients and attend annual reviews whenever required.
• To assist the Deputy CEO in developing and running the Corporate Training Project.
• To provide informal and formal support to the staff team e.g., supervision and annual appraisals.
• To participate in delivering curriculum for Aspirations.
• Take part, when required, in the minibus driving rota, safely collecting and returning learners to and from their homes.
• Alongside the Aspirations Tutors, co-ordinate, deliver and plan the Aspirations curriculum which includes:
• Set up and deliver class activities appropriate to the abilities and needs of the learners
• Prepare learners emotionally and socially for work - advice, social skills strategies and networks
• Supporting learners with additional qualifications to help them progress towards work. For example, first aid, food hygiene or volunteering
• Support learners in class to achieve their learning goals, including writing CVs
• Support learners' progression using outcome stars
• Create and implement support plans to help learners to become competent in relevant skills based on information gained from a variety of sources including Education, Health and Care Plans
• Ensure Tutors keep learner records are kept up to date, through clear schemes of work and the monitoring of learners' progress and achievements.
• Work as part of a team with other tutors, teaching assistant and support workers in the delivery of the programme
Overseeing the service:
• Plan, monitor, implement and review individual learning plans with learners and their carers
• Attend, arrange and take a lead at client reviews as necessary
• Working with the staff team, support clients individually, or in groups, to boost their confidence, self-esteem and motivation, encouraging them to make choices and promote their independence
• To build good relationships with clients' families/carers to make sure that they are involved (as appropriate) in developing clients' skills and abilities and in the development of their learning plans
• Support learners' progression using outcome stars
• Ensure learner records are kept up to date, through clear schemes of work and the monitoring of learners' progress and achievements, to meet the data requirements of funding bodies who may be funding aspects of the programme
• Ensure that learners are supported by the mental health support worker
Supervision of Staff:
• To participate in staff training activities, support students on placements and contribute to the development of Red2Green's policy/strategy formulation
• Undertake line management duties that include (but are not limited to): supervision, appraisals, sickness review meetings
• Undertake supervision of all staff in Aspirations.
• Plan annual appraisals and monitor agreed targets that should reflect the strategic plan.
• Ensure all Aspirations staff members work as a team and as part of the larger team at Red2Green
• To undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may be reasonably required, and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this job
• In conjunction with colleagues, share responsibility for the day to day running of the service in the managers' absence
• Working with the Deputy CEO, plan and deliver autism awareness training to our corporate partners and deliver holistic workplace assessments.
Job title: Senior Tutor
K1 an understanding of different disabilities and the special needs learners bring to the service
K2 understanding of the individual needs of adults with autistic spectrum disorders
K3 planning and monitoring learner progress
K4 qualification for teaching adults
K5 experience of working with volunteers
K6 understanding of the individual needs of adults with mental health issues
K7 knowledge of skills required for independent living
K8 knowledge of relevant equality legislation
K9 understanding of NOCN gateway, City and Guilds qualifications
E1 work as tutor and/or working towards a suitable qualification to teach learners with special needs
E2 managing staff or volunteers
E3 Planning and delivering training
S1 good level of education with good written and oral communication skills
S2 able to support learners to create CV and target CV to match job applications, with the job application process, and run mock interviews and feedback sessions
S3 must be organised
S4 caring attitude
S5 able to plan ahead & work to deadlines
S6 able to use own initiative
S7 able to encourage and support other people
S8 sense of humour
S9 computer literate, WP, e-mail, internet, willingness to train to use client database.
O1 occasional work out of normal office hours
O2 clean driving licence and access to car
O3 to adhere to Red2Green's policies and procedures, in particular confidentiality
O4 flair for innovative thinking and positive “can do” attitude
O5 MIDAS driving certificate (or willing to undertake MIDAS)
Apply for this position
This vacancy has been successfully completed. Please SEARCH for similar roles
Red2GreenRed 2 Green Ltd, Harveys Barn, Cambridge, Cambridge
Nearby train stations
Nearby bus stops
- Opposite Vicarage Close, Vicarage Close, High Street
- opp, Vicarage Close, High Street
- near, Vicarage Close, High Street
- opp, War Memorial, High Street
- near, War Memorial, High Street
- Swaffham Bulbeck CofE Primary School
- Bottisham Community Primary School
- Bottisham Village College
- Swaffham Prior Church of England Primary School
- Great Wilbraham CofE Primary School